Magic Skin Cream

20150720_174622000_iOS 20150720_174625000_iOS20150720_174516000_iOS

Before I start this post I want to let you all know that it isn’t sponsored and the cream wasn’t gifted to me.

When I was younger I suffered with acne. I was prescribed Lymecycline tablets by my GP. They worked so well, my acne cleared up completely! Unfortunately even though the acne cleared up, my scars didn’t shift at all.

I’m sure we all know that when you’re in school you can get picked on for pretty much everything. I got called “Scar face” and “Acid drops”, apparently my face looked like someone had dripped acid over it (charming I know). I don’t think any harm was meant with the name calling but it stuck in my head and made me feel so ugly. I was so self conscious I’d wear layers and layers of foundation to try to hide them. I went back to the GP to see if there was anything they could do for me but they just told me they would clear over time.

I complained about my scars for years, trying all sorts of different creams and oils to clear them but nothing worked. Almond oil, Vitamin C serum, Bio-Oil, Tea Tree oil, you name it, I tried it. I was getting so fed up of all these different creams I started looking into laser scar removal. Even though my skin wasn’t as bad as a lot of other cases, it’s still my skin and anyone with skin troubles will know how much it eats away at your confidence.

I didn’t have the money to pay for the treatment straight away so I started trying to save up. I was still sick of spending so much money and time on covering my scars I thought I’d have ago at another cream while I was saving for laser. I’m so glad I did. I was looking around Boots for a cream I’d read about, I couldn’t find it and the woman said they didn’t stock it so I’d have to order online. I’m far too impatient for that so I asked her if there was anything she’d recommend. I owe the biggest thanks to this woman.

She recommended La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo [+] and I’ve used it every day since. It’s £15.50 a tube which usually lasts me about a month.  I apply it religiously every morning when I wake up and every night before bed. The before pictures were taken on 25th March 2015, after photos 21st July. I can’t believe the difference I’ve seen in my skin in just four months, it’s incredible.

Sam’s been using the cream as well and has also seen a massive difference. We’ve recommended it to everyone we know. It’s great for reducing scars/blemishes but also for getting rid of spots.

I really can’t recommend it enough, it’s made such a difference to my skin and to my confidence. I go to the gym and pop to the shops without makeup on now for the first time in years!

25 Comments

1. July 21, 2015 / 8:41 pm

Omg.. I have the same problem, and.. I’ve used this cream! It’s good 🙂

2. July 21, 2015 / 10:13 pm

You’re skin looks fantastic! I’m glad you’ve found something that helps your confidence so much. I was wondering whether you experienced any negative side effects, such as dryness or irritation? Thanks!

• July 29, 2015 / 11:35 am

Thank you! I haven’t had any negative side effects from this cream xx

3. Eleanor
    July 22, 2015 / 12:43 pm

Thankyou for sharing this! i have struggled with acne for a number of years and it really does knock your confidence! I took Tetralysal and it got rid of my spots but not my scars. And like you i was considering laser treatment. I have tried a number of products and am currently using differin cream which is not really working! I will definitely try the product you recommended! Thanks again 🙂

4. July 22, 2015 / 2:36 pm

I definitely need to get this cream! Just came back from my holidays and didn’t feel confident at all around the pool with no makeup on next to girls who had no acne scars or anything whilst my face has quite a few! The difference is amazing. Thanks for sharing 🙂

5. July 22, 2015 / 3:10 pm

I also love Effaclar Duo+ and religiously apply it morning and night! So glad to read that you are getting your confidence back, I was also bullied over the littlest things in my appearance so know how you feel. I love the Effaclar facial wash too and find my skin to feel squeaky clean after using it 🙂 x
    Charlotte’s Road

• July 29, 2015 / 11:34 am

Thank you! I haven’t tried any of their other products yet, I’ll have to give that a go! x

6. July 25, 2015 / 4:36 pm

Chloe your skin looks so lovely. Having suffered from terrible skin myself (and still living with the scars now) I can completely understand where you are coming from. It’s refreshing that you are comfortable enough in your skin to do this blog post and I admire you for it!
    Arianna x

• July 29, 2015 / 11:33 am

Hi Arianna,

Thank you so much. I can’t recommend this cream enough, living with scars is such a pain! x

7. July 26, 2015 / 12:51 pm

These results are amazing! Your skin is gorgeous, I have a similar problem with scarring, would you recommend this cream for sensitive skin? I’m so wary of what I put on my face xx

• July 29, 2015 / 11:32 am

Thank you! It varies from person to person but my boyfriend has extremely sensitive skin, he normally comes up in a rash from most products but he didn’t have any problems with this xx

8. August 15, 2015 / 10:54 pm

Such a good post! I just subscribed to your blog. I know what it’s like to have something said when you are younger and just remember it forever. Honestly, I just had thinoplssty after 30 years of being told I had a big nose 😢 As an adult, I could d written it off. Asa young girl, it haunted me for many years. That seems like an amazing cream. I’m going to get some for my hubby.

What other skin products do you use with it? Or is it all you need? My husband struggles with too much I give him to use. I think 3 is his max.

• August 17, 2015 / 12:25 pm

Thank you! The comments never go away unfortunately, no matter how much you know they’re untrue.
      In these pictures I’m not using anything else alongside this product. I’ve just started using a three step skin routine by this company of which this cream is the last step. I’ll give it a few months and see if I think it did anything extra. But the cream alone did a lot for me, I can’t recommend it more xx

9. Ellie
    August 16, 2015 / 3:18 pm

Do you use this with or without moisturiser? X

10. September 6, 2015 / 12:43 am

Wow, I can’t believe what it did to your skin, in so little time. I tried a lot of creams, I don’t have a skin that bad since I don’t wear foundation (I hate it and I can choose not to wear it, it’s a chance), and I only wear BB creams from time to time, mostly just concealer, but I got a lot of scars on my chin, my problem is hormonal but nothing worked so far. I’m gonna try this cream (happy to see it’s a french brand so I’ll find it next door easily) and maybe I’ll thank you ! Fingers crossed (yn) 😀 Anyway, the results are spectacular on you, really, you must feel so good !

11. Arlyn
    October 12, 2015 / 6:21 pm

What else do u use on ur face ? What’s ur routine?

• November 11, 2015 / 8:47 pm

This is the only cream I was using but now I use their 3 step process which is even better. Other than that I just use Simple products to remove my makeup.

12. Emma
    December 29, 2015 / 7:36 pm

Hey, how long did you take lymecycline for? I’ve tried so many different tablets from my gp but don’t think I’ve tried that one so might ask them to give it a try? Xx

• August 3, 2016 / 6:54 am

Hey Emma,

I was on Lymecycline for 3 years which is much longer than they suggest. I definitely recommend it but if you can make sure you only take it for a maximum of 2 years. I suffer from a lot of stomach problems now and I think it’s as a result of extended use xx

13. Lucy
    August 2, 2016 / 9:15 pm

Hi,
    I was just wondering how long you were on lymecycline for until it helped clear your skin? X

• August 3, 2016 / 6:50 am

Hey Lucy,
      I was on Lymecycline for about 3 months when I started seeing a difference. It was a long time ago now but I think I broke out in the first month of taking it then it cleared up and got better over the next two months x

14. sjuul
    October 17, 2017 / 11:32 am

Hey! That result is amazing!! My skin looks a lot like your before picture. I have been using this cream for 1 month now and see a slight change. When did you see a big difference in red marks??